A Note from Dawne Barnes
I think we can all agree that making time for self care is hugely important these days. For me that involves baking. I think it’s the creative act, the organization of a recipe, the tangible construction of ingredients and, let’s be honest, the transformation of a kitchen full of wonderful smells and the grateful mouths that partake, that calms the soul. So, let’s get baking together! I have a super simple family favorite that’s perfect for the season and is healthy and universally loved…even by my husband who doesn’t like anything sweet! A special thanks to the Office of Student Life and especially Daniel Heath who helped us pull this all together. I hope you’ll join me for this sweet distraction and a fun time together in the kitchen!
Blessings, Dawne Barnes
Cranberry Yogurt Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
30 carbs per muffin
7 points on Weight Watchers (purple plan)
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Plain, whole milk yogurt (non-Greek)
- 1/3 Cup Veg oil (I use liquid coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil)
- 3/4 Cup Brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 Cup Flour (1/2 wheat-1/2 white or white whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1.5 Cups Cranberries, chopped
- Toasted (and cooled) walnuts, optional but recommended!
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix oats and yogurt, let sit for 10-15 min.
- Add oil, sugar and egg. Beat well.
- Combine flour, salt, soda and powder
- Before adding to wet ingredients, sprinkle cranberries over dry ingredients, stir to blend
- Combine all ingredients till just blended
- Fill muffin cups and bake 12-15 min.